HSP – The Continuing Story

So, on October 29th, a mere 5 hours after we entered the emergency room, LD was in surgery for intussusception. We didn’t know how major the surgery would end up being, but we knew it was in God’s hands. I feel truly blessed that so many of my Facebook friends saw my posts and were praying as LD was in surgery. I’m not always a huge fan of FB, but this was one case where it was a real blessing. We were also blessed to have one of the pastors of our church at our side. (He even ran out to Walgreens at 10:30 at night to buy me some crackers and water because I hadn’t had anything to eat since noon. Thank you so much, Pastor Scott!!)

After a very long hour that saw me pacing the empty hospital halls more than once, the surgeon emerged to tell us that the surgery had been very smooth and LD had done well. The surgeon did not have to cut LD’s bowel or remove his appendix; he was able to pull apart the telescoped portion. The surgeon did tell us that intussusception can reoccur; HSP is a difficult disease and he said we might be back in the hospital a few times, but that it should only last a few months. They decided to put LD in a regular room and not in the PICU so that we could stay with him 24/7. We were truly glad for this decision, as we were able to monitor him the entire time he was in the hospital.

We went to the recovery room and saw LD. He had 2 IV’s going, an NG tube running from his nose to his stomach, and other various tubes and cords hanging all over him and his little body. He looked so small in his big hospital bed. He was thrashing about, and the nurses informed us that he had to keep the tube in his nose and that if he pulled it out, they would have to reinsert it while he was awake which would be really bad. LD of course wanted no part of this tube in his nose, but MM and I tried to speak comfortingly and soothingly. I actually said my good-byes at this point because now that I knew LD was okay, I had to go home to be with the other Littles. MM was going to stay in the hospital room all night with LD (in his vomit-shirt!).

I got home about midnight and thanked my in-laws for watching my kids all day. They went home to rest because they knew they would be on duty for the next few days. I was actually able to sleep (I had been up since 2 a.m. because LD had been in so much pain and unable to sleep the night before that I sat up with him for most of it). In the morning, the Littles and I ate breakfast and then my in-laws came over and I went to the hospital to relieve MM (and bring him a new shirt). He said LD had a pretty rough night and tried to yank out the NG tube several times. Because he was so nervous about LD pulling it out, MM was not able to sleep at all. By morning, LD had finally resigned himself to keeping it in. I sent MM home to get some rest.

LD definitely was not acting like my Little Dude. He didn’t talk, he hardly moved… It was very sad to see him so weak. The PA from the surgeon’s office came and looked him over. He ordered the NG tube removed and then said to start LD slowly on food. The nurse finally took the NG tube out about noon. After that point, LD started begging for a drink but the nurse said he couldn’t have anything for 4 hours. I did sneak him a capful of Gatorade, but as they told me that if he vomited they would reinsert the NG tube, I didn’t dare give him too much.

Finally, after 4 hours, the nurse said he could have ice chips. LD actually cried when I brought them to him because he thought they were going to be potato chips. I convinced him to chew some. I was allowed to give him Gatorade after he finished the ice chips, but he cried that, “I’m not thirsty, I’m hungry!” Luckily, they had brought him some jello for lunch so I fed him that. Then dinner came in (he was on a liquid diet), but he ate the broth and the italian ice and finally felt better. He did complain that his stomach hurt, but never vomited. From that point on, whenever they brought any meal, he ate and drank everything in sight, and begged for more between meals.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s